RC4WD TF2 LWB Goes Non-stop for 64 HOURS!!

Posted by RC4WD on 6/7/2017 to RC4WD Product Uses

This is an account of the personal experiences from Trevor R. on our RC4WD Trail Finder 2 LWB used at an event:

64 Hours, prep, running, the cause, the fatigue, the victory of survival.

Quick details of prepping the build.

I wanted to highlight the stock TF2 and just how tough this RC is. 

The build:

1. I Packed everything that had gears with grease, pre-assembled parts too.
2. Thread locked every bolt on the kit. Even the pre-assembled parts.
3. I ran longer bolts all the way through every spot that attached parts to the chassis and added a nylon locknut on the ends. 
4. I used all three leaf springs for the event to help with hard landings, and weight. I knew by the end of the event they would be well used and broken in.
5. I shimmed the axles.
6. I replaced the stock dog bones with the XVD's
7. I left the stock drive shafts on but had the Punisher's on hand.
8. Replaced the stock front plastic bumper with a steel tough armor piece RC4ZS0765.
9. Replaced the stock plastic bumper mount with a steel mount.
10. Water Proofed all the electrics as I would spend a significant time in water, rain, & snow.
11. I used the WP Outcry II esc and the RC4WD XR4 4 Channel rx/tx.
12. I installed the Warn 8274 for pulling duties.
13. I used the stock RC4WD 45t Motor.

Changes I made:
1.55 Pitbull Rock Beasts/ Foams
Exclusive-RC 3D printed flat bed

The event: 64 Hours

By now I have already been up for 10 hours, so by the end of this adventure I will have been up for 74+ hours. I started on Friday afternoon at 4:00pm and will end Monday at 8:00am. When I looked out the window and stared up at the top of Bolton Valley I sighed, as the rain came down. It figures, when I set my mind to do something outside, it rains, always; Very Charlie Brown of me. I had a good group of the RCEC gang there to cheer me on, and help me out for the first eight hours. I was given a plastic grocery bag and a smile by my right hand man Robert Kuck III. Good luck brother, he says. I get some hoots and hollers as I leave the dry comfy room aka basecamp. Kyle St. Peter bundled up in rain gear for himself and camera followed me out and up the mountain for some great photos.

For the event I used 4 batteries. I ran 2S most of the event and those batteries were provided by Helios RC. 5200 mah x4 works out great for the grueling environment and distance I was about to face. 

The terrain Bolton has to offer is mild to wild, depending on where you go, and what you drive. There are a ton of rocks all over the mountain, mud, snow, and some great mountain bike single track terrain. The views are amazing, and when you get to the fire tower at dusk or dawn, you forget the pain in your body for a little while.

At the eight hour mark, I was finally joined by a bigger group trying to reach the 56 Hour mark. This year there were a lot of guys wanting to hit big marks and goals for themselves, so the 56 Hour guys started at 12:00am, while the 48 Hour guys started at 8:00am Saturday.

To cover all four days in writing would make for a book, so in short, we traveled up and down that mountain in rain, cold temps, some sunshine, and fog at night, err clouds. For me and my adventures I drove all around, played in some mud, got stuck a few times, stalled the motor out, but with a quick push and fresh water it was as good as new-ish... I rolled the truck a few times off some questionable spots, as to should have I really been there? The body stayed together and held strong. No cracks, or breaks on the body.

My body went through a lot of changes, the lack of sleep is real, and nodding off while I was walking happened a few times. My heels, knees, and lower back hurt the most throughout, as the abuse of climbing a mountain while carrying 25lbs of parts, water, food and batteries adds up fast.

I went through a few low moments, a lot of highs, and even a few slap happy moments. When you're awake that long, you're basically drunk as your thought process and motor skills take a back seat to functioning on a clear level. I stayed hydrated via my 22L camel bak, food and snacks I ate along the way, and had some awesome people cook my hot meals for dinner and breakfast.

The truck was a beast all weekend, and the only broken parts I experienced were a rear ring and pinion due to pushing someone up and out of the mud. It got a little clicky after that push, but the gear lasted quite some time after. It finally had enough on a climb on a rock face called X-Marks the spot, as it gave up the sauce during the climb. I broke the rear stock driveshaft around the 12 hour mark and replaced it with the Punisher Drive shaft. The stock front drive shaft broke due to me on the last thirty minutes of the event horsing around and celebrating the finish that was upon us. I also had switched to my RRW 3S battery at that point, and I was driving it like an 80's style pre-runnner!

Overall the RC4WD Trailer Finder 2 LWB has cemented itself as one of the toughest RC's I have ever driven; 64 Hours proves this. Running 90% stock, this RC screams durability, and has quickly become one of my favorites. 

I want to say thank you to Tom Allen and RC4WD for taking a chance on me, and Radio Controlled East Coast's 48 Hour Challenge fundraising event. We are honored to be able to run this event every year, and I am thankful that RC4WD gave me a chance to represent them on a major level. I look forward to being apart of this great company as I continue to run this blue bender for the rest of the year!